Saturday, May 17, 2008

First Solo Public Performance

April 26, 2008 at The Old Opera Cafe, Nevada, Iowa
Boy! What a rush it was! It took almost a day for me to wind down. It was the most exhilarating experience in my life . I never imagined that I would play the flute for nearly two hours. Not only did I play that long, the crowd did not leave. They stayed until I called it a night. I am sure they stayed back because they enjoyed the music!

My accompanist, Atul (Tabla) was somewhat anxious prior to the event. He had reasons to be anxious. we had played together very little and we had a few hours of practice together. He was worried we may not have enough material to go on for two hours. Somehow I felt at ease going into the performance. Perhaps, I got confidence from the advice Kudamaloorji gave me (he asked me to enjoy my music and play tunes that I enjoy!). I had also gotten some tips from Misha - to reduce the complexity of notes. Once I started improvising on the fly I could go on without feeling exhausted.

For anyone interested in viewing and listening tot he performance (not a great recording) go to my VOX site or Facebook page.

No comments: