Monday, November 03, 2008

Apple sued for Powerbook memory error

In my previous post I had written about problems I have with the Powerbook computer, especially the lower memory slot failure. There are over 4000 owners of Powerbook who are in the same situation. Reports from users show that Apple stores across the country have at times gone the extra distance to fix these machines but for the most part ignored users' complaints. Now, one user having gotten nowhere finally decided to file a class action lawsuit against Apple. I am happy about it!

Apple may have a great brand, and decent customer service -- as long as you are under warranty and issues are minor. The argument I have heard is that one should not expect any vendor, Apple included, to service a PC for more than four years! For a company that claims not wanting to sell "junk" at low prices, it is expected of the company to make sure its products are stellar not only in price but in build and service quality. My experience with Apple has been that it charges a lot but is not willing to back up the promise!

The moral of the story is that if you want own an Apple product you should be willing to pay the price not once but many times. A high price to begin with and then yearly subscription for warranty coverage as long as you plan to hold on to the product. So, when you compare the total cost of ownership of an Apple product it is a lot more expensive to own! I challenge readers to prove me wrong. In spite of these shortcomings we flock to this company - they have a powerful magic.

No comments: